Middle School Dress Code
All students are expected to give proper attention to personal cleanliness and to dress appropriately for school and school functions. Students and their parents have the primary responsibility for acceptable student dress and appearance. Teachers and all other school personnel should exemplify and reinforce acceptable student dress and help students develop an understanding of appropriate appearance in the school setting.
A student's dress, grooming and appearance, including hair style/color, jewelry, make-up, and nails, shall:
1. Be safe, appropriate and not disrupt or interfere with the educational process.
2. Recognize that revealing garments such as tube tops, see-through tops, halter tops, one-shoulder shirts, skorts above mid-thigh, spaghetti straps, short shorts above mid-thigh, plunging necklines (front and/or back), bare midriff and see-through garments are not appropriate and should not be worn in a school environment. When standing, stomach, back and chest must be completely covered and no undergarments should be showing.
3. Ensure that underwear is completely covered with outer clothing.
4. Include footwear at all times. Footwear that is a safety hazard will not be allowed.
5. Not include the wearing of hats/headwear from the start of the school day to the end of the school day, except for a medical or religious purpose.
6. Not include items that are vulgar, obscene, libelous, or denigrate others on account of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or disability.
7. Not promote and/or endorse the use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs and/or encourage other illegal or violent activities.
Students who violate the student dress code shall be required to modify their appearance by covering or removing the offending item, and, if necessary or practical, replacing it with an acceptable item. Any student who refuses to do so shall be subject to discipline, up to and including in-school suspension for the day. Any student who repeatedly fails to comply with the dress code shall be subject to further discipline, up to and including out of school suspension.